Lounge For all non-motorcycle related discussion


 
Old September 28th @ 07:33 am   #1
MVBrutaleRider's Avatar
 
From: Las Vegas - Summerlin

Motorcycle: 08 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
Ok so being fairly new to LV still, have a few questions re shooting.

Im a gun guy (and im a democrat, go figure), where is there to go shoot in the LV area? I dont hunt, im simply just a plinker and like poking holes in paper.

I have been to the CC Shooting range off Decatur and as nice as it is, its not as much fun as I hoped (mostly due to "im bad shit, look at my muscular, shaved legs while I range nazi around" guy that worked there). In denver there were many open ranges on BLM land that you should go shoot at, and the only rules were that you didnt break any state/fed laws, but otherwise could shoot how you wanted to (rapid fire, your own targets, ect)

Is there anything like that around here? can you just go out into the desert and shoot?

Also, on carry laws, I do not have a nevada CC permit. thats fine since i dont carry on my person anyway, however, in colorado, one could carry in thier vehicle, permit or not, concealed or not, on thier person or not and loaded as your vehicle was considered an extension of your home, but was strictly limited to in the vehicle. I have done some digging but cant seem to find much info on the legality here in terms of legality as all my searches seem to just bring up CC classes and a bunch of BS.

I figure this is a good place to ask since in my eyes, guns and motorcycles are a good pairing.

Thanks in advance.

- Justin

 
 
Old September 28th @ 08:54 am   #2
 
From: Henderson

Motorcycle: Yamaha R6
Boulder City Rifle and Pistol Club is the best place to shoot around here in my opinion. Go on their website and get the date for the next class to join. The class is about an hour just to go over their rules and regs. They you get the code to go down whenever you want and it is less than $100 a year.

As far as shooting out in the desert there are some places around but you are dealing with a lot of stupid at times in those areas. I have had people shoot over my head, gang bangers and all sorts of other BS that I won't get into. Boulder City you run your own show in the members range and you have much more control.

Just my $.02

As far as gun laws you have to be careful because every city is different. LV, NLV, BC and Henderson all have different laws about carrying and in the car and there are issues that are not addressed but up to the officers discretion. Your best prescription for limiting BS is to get your CCW. Also do NOT carry concealed in your vehicle without a permit.
 
 
Old September 28th @ 09:48 am   #3
MVBrutaleRider's Avatar
 
From: Las Vegas - Summerlin

Motorcycle: 08 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRide View Post
As far as gun laws you have to be careful because every city is different. LV, NLV, BC and Henderson all have different laws about carrying and in the car and there are issues that are not addressed but up to the officers discretion. Your best prescription for limiting BS is to get your CCW. Also do NOT carry concealed in your vehicle without a permit.
Thats exactly the info I was looking for. I am in the process of the CCW but it just takes time so I figured in the mean time I should figure out the laws.

Now you say do not CC in the car, I assume you are talkin on your person? i.e is a loaded handgun in the glovebox ok? I dont care either way, just want to make sure that im not going to go to jail for something stupid because the "I just moved here, I didnt know" excuse doesnt work with guns and Im just not going to take the risk.

In terms of open shooting areas, I know what you mean in terms of too much stupid and a lot of BS. but I tend to handle shooting outings like I do riding a motorcycle... you know that saying "Ride like your invisible" - same rules apply for shooting. you can assume that everyone around you is using any common sense.

I will check out the boulder city gun club for sure.

Any other details on the car carry thing are appreciated

- Justin
 
 
Old September 28th @ 10:58 am   #4
vegaseric's Avatar
 
From: Las Vegas/Summerlin

Motorcycle: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE/2007 Suzuki GSXR600/2000 Honda CBR600F4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBrutaleRider View Post
Thats exactly the info I was looking for. I am in the process of the CCW but it just takes time so I figured in the mean time I should figure out the laws.

Now you say do not CC in the car, I assume you are talkin on your person? i.e is a loaded handgun in the glovebox ok? I dont care either way, just want to make sure that im not going to go to jail for something stupid because the "I just moved here, I didnt know" excuse doesnt work with guns and Im just not going to take the risk.

In terms of open shooting areas, I know what you mean in terms of too much stupid and a lot of BS. but I tend to handle shooting outings like I do riding a motorcycle... you know that saying "Ride like your invisible" - same rules apply for shooting. you can assume that everyone around you is using any common sense.

I will check out the boulder city gun club for sure.

Any other details on the car carry thing are appreciated

- Justin
Here's a map detailing where firearm discharge is prohibited in Clark County:

http://gisgate.co.clark.nv.us/gisplo...alfirearms.pdf

As mentioned before, it differs between municipalities whether or not you can carry in your car. Which means you can very easily go from perfectly legal to breaking the law by just taking a trip down I15. I can say this... IN THE CITY OF LAS VEGAS it is perfectly legal to have a loaded handgun in your car, as long as it isn't concealed on your person or in a personal item like a purse, briefcase, or backpack.

If you haven't already, sign up here for a FREE CCW class!!!

THE GUN STORE | CLASSES

They even provide the ammo for qualification!
 
 
Old September 28th @ 11:09 am   #5
nvryder's Avatar
 
From: NLV

Motorcycle: GSXR-1000
You are allowed to carry concealed in your vehicle in clark county (only) without a CCW permit. However, you are not able to carry concealed in a vehicle NLV, Boulder, and Henderson without a concealed weapons permit. FYI-NLV jurisdiction can be determined by the blue street signs in residential areas as most of clark county has green street signs. All pistols need to be registered with LVMPD if you are residing in clark county otherwise they may be confiscated by an LEO. Personally, I would go with the free CCW permit class as another member advised so you don't have to deal with the BS from other jurisdictions.

I hope this helps.....
 
 
Old September 28th @ 11:22 am   #6
MVBrutaleRider's Avatar
 
From: Las Vegas - Summerlin

Motorcycle: 08 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
So if i am looking at that correctly (The Map), I can basically go anywhere outside of the green and gray and outside of otherwise spoken for white (national park, ect) and my guess is the standard no less than 1/2 mile from developed areas, ect.

Am I on the right track here?

- Justin
 
 
Old September 28th @ 02:04 pm   #7
vegaseric's Avatar
 
From: Las Vegas/Summerlin

Motorcycle: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE/2007 Suzuki GSXR600/2000 Honda CBR600F4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBrutaleRider View Post
So if i am looking at that correctly (The Map), I can basically go anywhere outside of the green and gray and outside of otherwise spoken for white (national park, ect) and my guess is the standard no less than 1/2 mile from developed areas, ect.

Am I on the right track here?

- Justin
That should be a safe assumption... but you need to check with the agencies of the "otherwise spoken for" areas for clarification of their ordinances.

I still want to check out the county shooting range, though. I'll look out for the range nazi.
 
 
Old September 28th @ 02:41 pm   #8
MVBrutaleRider's Avatar
 
From: Las Vegas - Summerlin

Motorcycle: 08 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaseric View Post
That should be a safe assumption... but you need to check with the agencies of the "otherwise spoken for" areas for clarification of their ordinances.

I still want to check out the county shooting range, though. I'll look out for the range nazi.
The county range is pretty sweet actually, but I went with the wife and a good friend of mine, and he was all about trying to show off his fake tan and shaved legs to them, but had no problems getting all up in my shit about using steel cased ammo in my mini-14 - thos guns eat anything you feed em and ask for more. Hes an idiot.

- Justin
 
 
Old September 28th @ 03:31 pm   #9
The KY's Avatar
 
From: Las Vegas

Motorcycle: CBR1000rr
Concealed carry in Nevada is on your person. You're fine carrying in your car.
 
 
Old September 28th @ 03:54 pm   #10
vegaseric's Avatar
 
From: Las Vegas/Summerlin

Motorcycle: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE/2007 Suzuki GSXR600/2000 Honda CBR600F4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBrutaleRider View Post
The county range is pretty sweet actually, but I went with the wife and a good friend of mine, and he was all about trying to show off his fake tan and shaved legs to them, but had no problems getting all up in my shit about using steel cased ammo in my mini-14 - thos guns eat anything you feed em and ask for more. Hes an idiot.

- Justin
Haha... that's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The KY View Post
Concealed carry in Nevada is on your person. You're fine carrying in your car.
Unless you're in NLV... or Boulder City.

Last edited by vegaseric; September 28th at 03:56 pm.
 
 

Tags
area, recreational, shooting



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday Funday Shooting Mustang Meetups 2 January 17th 12:00 am
Outdoor shooting ranges?? Glennyboyee Lounge 7 August 9th 02:05 pm
Looks like the Brazilian shooting team is getting ready for the 2016 olympics... buellrider Lounge 2 October 19th 03:47 pm
Outdoor Gun Shooting RisingPhoenix Lounge 13 July 12th 06:18 pm


Sin City Sportbikes

About Sin City Sportbikes

Sin City Sportbikes is the premier motorcycle community for the Las Vegas, Nevada region and welcomes all motorcycle riders to joing our community, rides, and gatherings. We all share a passion of motorcycles, whether it be riding on the street, track, or dirt, and all experience levels are welcome.

Read More

 

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.